Tuesday, 17 August 2010

My First Post!

Dear NMBSHP Volunteers,

Like any good Virginian, I don't tend to rush into things (usually). Therefore, I took my own sweet time getting around to posting on this blog. Well, the wait is over, so here goes.

First, let me express my eternal thanks for all of the dedicated hard work you give the Park in so many ways. I know I speak for the entire staff when I say that you have made extraordinary contrbutions to the Park's mission of preservation and interpretation of the Battle of New Market and the Civil War era in the Shenandoah Valley. Well done!

Thanks also to Stacey in her role as Maven of the Volunteer Volume, as well as for the numerous other hats (bonnets?) she wears.

Following up on Troy's post about slavery in the Border South, I offer two articles on slavery as the principal cause of the Civil War. The first is from Yours Truly, prepared for the July edition of the online travel magazine Byways. The second is a column in the Richmond Times-Dispatch by retired Virginia Historical Society President (and VMI alumnus) Charles F. Bryan. My article may be found here: http://issuu.com/byways/docs/byways_july-aug_2010?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Fcolor%2Flayout.xml&backgroundColor=2A5083&showFlipBtn=true&proShowSidebar=true&autoFlip=true&autoFlipTime=6000 and Charlie's column may be accessed here:(http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/aug/15/ed-bryan15-ar-425765/

Gee, I hope those work . . .

I offer these observations for your consideration and response.

Best wishes,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment