The participants spent three days learning about the Battle of New Market from the perspective of the VMI cadets. Each day they hiked to a different area of the Battlefield. Below are pictures of the hike to Manor's Hill. Thank you to Mackenzie Grimes of the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation for tagging along on the hike and sharing these marvelous images.
The boys also spent time focusing on building leadership skills and exploring the concepts of Honor, Valor and Sacrifice. Ask one of them to share what they learned. I was very impressed with their grasp of the concepts and their ability to articulate what they had learned.
I've posted more pictures on the Volunteer Corps' flickr account at www.flickr.com/groups/nmbshpvolunteers
Check it out. You'll also find pictures from Day Camp 2010.

This camp was AWESOME! One of the best experiences I've had learning about the War Between the States. The mix between learning more about the battle and learning leadership skills was also great! Thanks for the fabulous experiece! Looking forward to next years camp!
ReplyDelete-Ben Miller