Thursday, 29 March 2012

Homeschool Day 2012



Our wonderful Sponsors! (not pictured Home Educators Assoc. of VA)
Wow!!! What an amazing event!  Thank you's go out to each and every one of you who helped make this event possible.  From our generous sponsors to our faithful staff to our dedicated volunteers, everyone pitched in to make this day a success.

Here are a few statistics:
611 people registered
313 attended
$1300.00+ in sales
$1000 in admissions
50 volunteers participated (and were fed by our sponsors!)
4 exhibitors helped support our educational mission
3 amazing door prizes given away to very excited visitors
98 prizes awarded for the Green Valley Bookfair Scavenger Hunt (that's 784 questions asked and answered!)
75 Chick-fil-A sandwiches sold
324 pictures taken
Countless Wendy's tattoo's applied
Endless thanks from the event coordinator!

                                                           One attendee sent the following email:

"Wendy" and the Detrow's
Dear New Market Battlefield staff and volunteers,

I just wanted to say thank you so much for hosting the homeschool day today. It was my first time to the battlefield, and I brought my 3 small children and a friend with her granddaughter. Even though it was pouring rain--alas!--we had a great time. My soon-to-be kindergartener enjoyed looking at the exhibits and hearing from the interpreters almost as much as I did! We all (including my 3-year old and baby) enjoyed the presentation from the Fife and Drum Corps. I was especially impressed that you all thought to have activities for younger children, such as the tea party, blocks, stickers, and coloring tucked away with the two helpful young ladies in the lower level of the museum. When we persevered over to the Bushong farm to find the schoolroom, crafts, music, and spinning, we were glad we did.  I do plan to return every year that you hold this event, and I expect that as my children get older, we will only enjoy things more and more in different ways. More likely than not, we will come at other times, too, since we live nearby. I also am looking forward to the day I can find a babysitter and come enjoy the park with my history-loving husband. It was a great experience at a very fine museum and grounds.

Your efforts are appreciated!

Sincerely,
Katie Rankin
Harrisonburg


And another had this to say:

One puzzle I would NOT like to reassemble

I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful time we had at homeschool day.  It seemed a perfect blend of interest for all ages and sexes.  I nope that we can return next year and that the weather is more cooperative.  Thank you for organizing and offering such a great opportunity for the homeschool community.

Rose Lauck

I've included some of my favorite pictures from the day (click on the picture to enlarge), but as always there are many, many more available at www.flickr.com/groups/nmbshpvolunteers.

When we say, "We couldn't have done it without you", we're uttering the understatement of the decade.
Thank you,
Stacey



No comments:

Post a Comment